Architecture Note #18 Published May 2018
The OUTREACH Program: More than a helping hand
This is an Architecture Note. It is the opinion of ISEC’s Chief Architect. It represents an effort to document ISEC’s ongoing science and engineering discussions, and is one of many to be published over time. Most importantly, it is a sincere effort to be the diary, or the chronicle, of the multitude of our technical considerations as we progress; along the pathway developing the Space Elevator.
Michael A. Fitzgerald
ISEC must begin broad OUTREACH programs …
but first we need to do some homework
It was probably Dad’s fault … but I remember all of us piling into the car and heading out to the movies a few miles away … and the expected show wasn’t playing anymore. My Dad accepted the guilt and paid off with banana splits at our favorite ice cream parlor. It was probably more fun; the seven of us being quiet in the movie was not really the ways things would have worked out. Dad always turned those incidents into teaching moments. “It didn’t turn out so bad…”. “But I should have checked the schedule before leaving the house “.
ISEC had also better check. There are any number issues that could affect us at the destination our progress; and banana splits are not the fix. We need to “check the schedule”; and see how a Space Elevator fits into the future. That is, the future as seen by others. We need to reach out to a variety of legal, diplomatic, technology, and jurisdictional authorities; and see how they see the Space Elevator fitting into their future. If need be, ISEC should offer an enlightened view … so they see things our way. It is our teaching moments and we need to make some plans. We need to form our story (stories) and stick to it (them).
There are several Transportation “Outreach topics”; maybe more.
Transportation System Outreach:
- Strategic Technology – protection and sharing
- Space Traffic Management – collision management is a two-way street and we have right of way.
- International Jurisdictions – Meet the Klingons!
- Legal Structures
- Interplanetary Space Operations – they need the Space Elevator.
- Space Elevator’s role in Long Term; supporting farms and factories.
- Technology and engineering development is needed for on orbit servicing.
There are several Enterprise “Outreach topics”.
Enterprise System Outreach:
- Technology readiness for technologies and engineering activities with our Enterprise partners and clients. Some ideas:
- Foster innovative business activities that are GEO Centric; and Apex Centric.
- Identify on orbit resources and tools
- Solar Power
- Additive Printing
- Join activities like the Washington Business Roundtable
- Define broader business models for research and exploration
- Encourage industry players to send their proprietary Requests for Information to ISEC.
We need them to see us there!
More to come